Travel Music for Baby Boomers.......

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 09, 2009 at 21:29
ThreadID: 72151 Views:3352 Replies:7 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
or just nostalgia.

There has been a complete re-release of the Beatles' music catalogue. Fully remastered in both the mono and stereo versions.

Over 50's, please explain to the youngsters what "mono" is.

Cynical cash cow venture by EMI, or good stuff?

Here is a link to a very comprehensive review.

Site Link

It contains a comparison of the mono and stereo versions and also a link to "Section 2" of the review for more reading. I had both the mono and stereo versions of Sgt Peppers and there certainly were differences between the two.

I've always thought that the current (and just outdated) CD release had a few errors in it. I could go into detail but I won't.

I hope you enjoy reading the review. I did, and I think I might have to put out some heavy hints for Xmas.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - TonBon (NSW) - Wednesday, Sep 09, 2009 at 21:55

Wednesday, Sep 09, 2009 at 21:55
cash cow or genuine, i don't care, i must have this (and i am under 50 :-)
AnswerID: 382573

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Sep 09, 2009 at 22:01

Wednesday, Sep 09, 2009 at 22:01
Hey Bushie,

You may have opened a can of worms here:-)

My favorite travelling music is the Eagles.
I have recently purchased a copy of the Eagles "Long Road Out Of Eden" dual CD disk set and I reakon it's even better than their previous albums such as Hotel California" and "Greatest Hits" CD's.

I don't religiously play music when I'm driving in the bush, but I have the Eagles playing regularly on my MP3 Player at work.

Was brought up on the Beatles music but have "graduated" to Country Rock as my personal favorite for soothing music when working, or travelling.

Bill.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 382574

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Wednesday, Sep 09, 2009 at 22:15

Wednesday, Sep 09, 2009 at 22:15
Bill, it's interesting how our music tastes change isn't it?

I like nothing better than cranking the Stones "Get Yer Ya Ya's Out", amongst other outstanding 60's stuff (I was 14 in 1965 so I was in the right place at the right time).

I love the Eagles live concert DVD recorded in Melbourne. Just fantastic.

The Beatles, I think, are the all time best. Three years ago we went to the UK for the first time ever. Went to Liverpool, stood on the banks of the Mersey River (hummed Ferry Across the Mersey to myself). Visited the Cavern Club (albeit a reconstruction). I felt like I was on a pilgrimage.

My best, most prefered individual Travel Track is Crockett's Theme from Miami Vice.

But, after all that, Mrs Bush and I now love going to WA Symphony Orchestra concerts in Perth and we love a lot of the popular Opera. A couple of years ago we went to Opera in the HayShed at Borden, north of Albany. Excellent.

So, if you poke your head into our vehicle you are liable to hear anything, anytime. Even a bit of current chart stuff.

It's all good.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 650181

Follow Up By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Thursday, Sep 10, 2009 at 12:13

Thursday, Sep 10, 2009 at 12:13
Yeh GB I am quite partial to Symphony Orchestra Music ect, we have been to a few that they hold in the Out Doors, or Concerts on the Grass, just sitting on a rug with a glass of wine listening to music under the stars, then again we also like most of the 60's to 80's music as well, it's a shame You and Mrs Bush can't make it to the St George Gathering, I could have cranked up a bit of Jimmy Hendrix or something lol lol.
FollowupID: 650224

Reply By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Sep 09, 2009 at 22:32

Wednesday, Sep 09, 2009 at 22:32
I vote for Bobby Darren, the Big Boppa and Elvis etc etc etc etc. And don't forget the Bee Gees. There are just too many.

Where do you stop!!

In the garage one night working on my son's rally car with his mates and Alice's Restaurant pops up on the radio. In my perfect voice I start singing along, albeit quietly. My son asks how come I know it when it has just been released. How many times was it re-released.

Just goes to show you how good the music was in our days.

Phil
AnswerID: 382581

Reply By: bazza bushman - Wednesday, Sep 09, 2009 at 22:52

Wednesday, Sep 09, 2009 at 22:52
greg champion cd

i got latest one pretty funny

i think you get abc shop
AnswerID: 382585

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Thursday, Sep 10, 2009 at 06:46

Thursday, Sep 10, 2009 at 06:46
Hey GB, I'm a child of the Beatles also (still got the vinyl), The Shadows (cause I was a surfie chick back then), but love Pink Floyd. Old boy only listens to Slim Dusty in the ute or John Williamson. We both love the Eagels (and I will have to get Sand Man's recommendation above) but had a nostalgic night last week with Rockin' Rockets mix. Also like JimmyBuffett and Fleetwood Mac.
Then there is the heavy stuff - stay away from the shed if the Widor Organ Concerto is playing, whether it's me or a CD. This weekend I've got a music gig and playing lots of Mozart and a bit of Beethoven - it's only 6 in the shed and it's too cold for my fingers to practice this morning! Anyway, I am supposed to be outside - the last 12 m of concrete being poured this morning for the driveway (30 m all up for carport and driveway - more expensive than the house).
Zukscooter called in the other day, good to see him too. Going over his way next week looking for a fishing tinnie.

Image Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 382601

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Thursday, Sep 10, 2009 at 06:50

Thursday, Sep 10, 2009 at 06:50
No, that's not me doing the concreting - this photo was Tuesday morning and the fog didn't lift until about 10:30 am.
FollowupID: 650196

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Thursday, Sep 10, 2009 at 09:59

Thursday, Sep 10, 2009 at 09:59
As Jimmy says:

any physical labour I've done,
was purely by mistake...

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 650209

Follow Up By: ob - Thursday, Sep 10, 2009 at 10:55

Thursday, Sep 10, 2009 at 10:55
May I add The Stones, Led Zepplin, The Animals and yes I can still sing (verry verrry badly House of the Rising Sun
FollowupID: 650215

Follow Up By: Fred G NSW - Thursday, Sep 10, 2009 at 17:38

Thursday, Sep 10, 2009 at 17:38
Ruth, may I ask how far that Agi' had to travel ? Surely there's no batching plant in Birdsville.
And I'd say you guy's have got almost the perfect taste in all round music.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 650261

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Thursday, Sep 10, 2009 at 19:37

Thursday, Sep 10, 2009 at 19:37
Fred, no, not in Birdsville - but the agi had to travel 45 klms through the hills and past a dam. Actually there is a batching plant in Birdsville - a mobile one.
Gee, I forgot about Dire Straits. If on my own I just love very old blues music.
FollowupID: 650275

Reply By: Nargun51 - Thursday, Sep 10, 2009 at 12:46

Thursday, Sep 10, 2009 at 12:46
Prefer 1970's British prog rock myself, but have discovered the perfect way to totally embarrass teen age daughters. Works best if you have a Discovery, because the seats are high and windows low.

Play Dire Straights in the car, and as any aficionado knows, there are a few tracks that DEMAND air guitar.

'Telegraph Road is' long enough to carry over 2 subsequent traffic lights

My entire collections of Dire Straights, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix and Meatloaf (slight embarrassment to admit that) have been banned from the car when the kids are in it.

Even Fleetwood Mac's 'Tusk' has been banned

AnswerID: 382631

Follow Up By: Steve - Thursday, Sep 10, 2009 at 17:56

Thursday, Sep 10, 2009 at 17:56
ha - glad somebody else does it

can understand the embarrassment and banning of the last two. Fleetwood Mac were a top blues band before the girlies took over. Mick Fleetwood, John McVie, Pete Green who came from the same schooling as Clapton and John Mayall. Better stop there.....;-)))))))

Chugging away for hour on hour in peaceful contemplation as the outback miles peel by just begs for a sudden burst of "energy" My two boys are just beginning to awaken to the truth. My air guitar doesn't quite cut it compared to their real guitaring but I can show em a few tunes. Sort of. I'm erm...."studying" the harmonica right now.
FollowupID: 650264

Reply By: Member - Matt M (ACT) - Thursday, Sep 10, 2009 at 21:19

Thursday, Sep 10, 2009 at 21:19
This is my Father's day present for next year (once they add Exile on Main Street).

Matt.

AnswerID: 382686

Sponsored Links